Sunday, December 25, 2011

And so it has come and gone...

Christmas is over.  It's always a relief when it is.  It's not that I don't like christmas, though I am not as loopy about it as most people, it's just that it's such a disruption from Thanksgiving until now.  Everything gets out of whack.  I guess that's why I look forward to the New Year so much because really, a moment in time, a date, is not the only time you have to start a clean slate.  There is no reason everyday can't be a new year.

It's like the calendars.  They used to only come in standard January through Dec.  But now they come in 18 months from June to December of the next year.  Or, they'll start from the academic year to the next academic year...I love my calendars.  I love filling them up with plans.  But yes, there is something about getting a brand new calendar full of possibilities.  But, back to the New year and why we look forward to it.  The Christmas season is the last hurrah of the year.  The hope and halmark moments...the cheerfulness that comes with that, the flurry of activities and parties and craziness...all rising to a crescendo to where you just can't take anymore and then it's over in a flash.  There's nothing else to look forward to so you begin to plan and hope and dream for the next year.  This will be the year that I lose weight...this will be the year that I save money...This will be the year that I find love...

This will be the year where I plan some adventures.  I'm going to Costa Rico if my friends do not peter out on me.  that will NOT be this year, but it will definitely be in the planning stages.

This will be the year that I get healthier. I've been doing that steadily for the last few years.  I want to step it up this year.

This will be the year that I get some long awaited Home improvements done.  I've contacted and old friend from my married days to help with that.  We'll forget the talk of the ex.  It wasn't much talk and I did not bring it up.  There were some things said that made me feel validated in my feelings of being wronged though.  

This may be a year of changes.  Some of them may be very scary.  It's always scary to let go of people when you feel like you'll never find another person to fill that need.  But, sometimes you have to recognise that people are selfish and you're not going to be able to change that.

There are things that I will change, things that I will let go, things that I will start doing instead.  I hope to do them quietly and without much notice or comments.  Those put much too much pressure on a person.  

No comments: