Saturday, June 14, 2008

Online dating dont's

Men! Pay attention! When you are submitting a profile for on-line dating, here are a few things to remember:

Group photos:

Don't make me guess which one is you. I might be really disappointed thinking I am meeting the hot friend and it turns out to be you.


Photos of scenery:

WTF cares? I don't want to see pictures of : flowers, trees, the places you've visted, your car (WTF?), your harley etc. If you want to include a picture of your home, that might be acceptable so I know that you don't live in a van down by the river. But really, I am not impressed if your house is a typical Milk Carton Valley home or if it is a restored one of a kind Victorian, or if it is a freaking mansion. If you take photos in your home though, I will be checking out the background to see if you have at least a modicum of style. If I see precious moments, teddy bear borders, a singing fish, or the damn bird clock, you lose serious points...Unless, you have it juxtaposed in a way that is fashionably kitsche. That takes a lot of creativity and a good sense of humour to pull off so you get bonus points for that.

Kids and pets:

Yes, they show a sensitive side. However, too many pics of your pet and only one or two of you are not acceptable. I am not looking for companionship with your animal, I have four of my own who suck the life out of me already. Kids...If they're yours, I wanna see them. Why? because if I ever do decide to procreate (highly unlikely) I wanna make sure you have some good looking offspring. Otherwise, ugly babies are likely to be left on a cliff to survive the elements ala spartans. Even if I don't decide to have kids, I don't want to be embarrassed by your uglies. Please make sure they are clean, well groomed, and given a little extra care if they are in that awkward stage. I am not cleaning up that mess. :) If they are NOT your kids, I don't want to see them. It seems a little over kill when you don't have children to be hamming it up with the token child here and there to prove you're daddy material. I don't give a fuck.

Body types:

Don't state that you are looking for someone who is athletic and slender and then wink at me. It clearly states on my profile that I have a few extra pounds. Depending upon how shallow you are, a few extra pounds could be a size 8 to you or a size 18. I fall in between. Either way, if you haven't stated that a little chunk is ok with you, I would constantly be thinking...Do I look fat in this? Is he noticing my roll? Should I really order desert? I won't be contacting you if I don't see that chunky girls are ok in your book.

On your own body type...Be sure you have something to offer if you are going to suggest that chunky girls are not attractive to you. That double chin of yours and lack of a neck suggests that you may want to change your own profile from athletic to a few extra pounds. And I am ok with baldness, a few extra pounds, etc. Just be honest about your body type or double check with a friend about your self perceptions.

Grammar:

I am not perfect but I do expect some kind of punctuation knowledge. Don't type in all caps (why are you yelling at me already?) Spell check...it is a good thing. Periods, spaces, commas, all necessary. Complete sentences are structurally necessary too, though sometimes you can get away without them to make a point. Only one per paragraph or so. Speak with proper grammar.. Hey baby I seen you lookin at me is not good. Too much wrong with that sentence to go into.

Education:

I have a graduate degree. I don't care if it makes me snobby, I don't care how much money you make. I clearly stated that I want someone who is educated and preferably has, at least, a bachelor's degree. If you have a shitty, incoherent profile, make 35k or less, and a highschool education, don't bother. You have nothing to offer me. OTOH, if you have a wonderful, creative profile, make a decent living and are driven, open minded, culturally aware but only a high school ed, I might consider you. Sometimes life experience counts just as much as an education and sometimes even more.

Cliches:

Avoid them. Glass half full, etc. Some cliches are just part of life. It is ok to say you're a happy person. It is ok to use phrases such as I want someone who knows what they want and who they are.....HOWEVER, only if you have the character to back that up. You had better know what you want and you had better know who you are to an extent. I realise that no one can be 100% on that and if you are, you're not evolving and stagnant is bad, always. Don't tell me you're honest to a fault. Everyone lies. You do too, so there goes that bragging point. Humble thyself.

Oh, pictures again:

A variety of dress would be good. I don't want to see pic after pic of your rippling muscles in shirtless poses (though I might come back to visit your profile just for the eye candy). Casual tees and wifebeaters...also not accpetable in every. single. picutre! Please have a variety. I want to know that you have a suit for nice evenings out. I want to know that you are not so stuffy that you don't have a pair of jeans or shorts. And ok, the occasional chest shot is good.

Hope this was helpful.

No comments: